Bureaucrats shamed into a grass field deal

This post has been read 2428 times!

Update: August 15, 2011

The fence was removed and the field is now opened for public use.

August 12, 2011

By Steven Greer, MD

Well, after having our friends at Pix11 TV news and The NY Post begin stories on the West Thames grass field disgrace, the DOT announced today that the field would open on Monday, August 15th. Recall, it was delayed two weeks due to an absurd “crab grass” excuse. Prior to that, the field was out of use for almost two years due to bickering between the DOT and the BPCA.

In their brief release, Adam Levine of the DOT wrote, “The New York State Department of Transportation and the Battery Park City Authority are pleased to announce that the West Thames Park lawn is scheduled to open Monday, August 15, 2011.  The park will be maintained by Battery Park City Authority through the Battery Park City Parks Conservancy.”

This beautiful real grass field cost the tax payers more than $200,000, for the grass alone, yet was held hostage as part of this bureaucratic dispute. To express your outrage over having to view an unsightly chain link fence in your neighborhood for many months, and having your children deprived of an entire summer of recreation, contact:

BPCA CEO Gayle Horwitz at (212) 417-2000 gayle.horwitz@batteryparkcity.org

Battery Park City Parks Conservancy, Tess Huxley  thuxley@bpcparks.org

DOT’s Region 11 Director Phillip Eng at (718) 482-4526 peng@dot.state.ny.us

This entry was posted in State Government. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Bureaucrats shamed into a grass field deal

  1. Steven says:

    IT SHOWS YOU , HOW STUPID THE BATTERY PARK AUTHORITY AND ALL THE EXECUTIVES ARE ! Real smart to open the new grass field after hours of the worst rain of all time in a day!!

    New York broke an all-time record for a one-day rainfall Sunday as up to 8 inches of water soaked the city, snarling trains and flooding roadways.
    By 9 p.m., 7.7 inches of rain had fallen at Kennedy Airport.
    It was the most recorded there in a single day since the National Weather Service began keeping records 116 years ago.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *