Contact information to help you take action

This post has been read 2443 times!

We often receive questions asking us for the phone numbers and contacts of officials who can help address quality of life issues. The following are some of the more common issues that you can help take action against:

General strategies:

The Park Enforcement Patrol (PEP) are your first resource for most matters. In South BPC, call (212) 417-3100. In North BPC, call (212) 945-3410.

Also, it is important that you create a paper trail for complaints by taking a few minutes online of on the phone to report problems to 311. The police, health department, etc. get the complaints forwarded to them and take action.

The Battery Park City Authority is the ultimate agency in charge of almost all matters. Contact them for virtually any grievance at (212) 417-2000.

Tour Buses:

For illegally parked tour buses, call the PEP, then take a photo. The City DOT has a database and contacts the private bus companies. Email the photos to the CB1 office and DOT

Livery cabs:

To remove black town cars loitering on residential streets waiting for calls, you should first collect the license plate and other information, then report it to 311. This will trigger a TLC complaint and fine. It sends a strong message. The PEP will also respond and remove the cars.

Do not confront the drivers yourself. They are growing more aggressive and violent. Most of them have long arrest records.

If the problem persist, the corporations within the World Financial Center who contract the car companies can be involved. Email us for help with that

Grocery Store Complaints:

Battery Park City has the worst grocery stores in the city. They get away with violations that restaurants would be closed down for because grocery stores are regulated by the State Department of Agriculture and have stronger lobbyists. Violations that you might think would trigger hefty fines, such as selling food with expired dates, are actually legal. Those are just “suggested” expiration dates. However, freezers that allow food to thaw, rodents, trash in the sidewalk, etc, are violations that can be addressed.

For grocery story action, contact Robert Dondorf in the State Department of Agriculture (718) 722-2876

Fishermen on the esplanade:

The new problem of commercial fishermen setting out lines all along the esplanade is best addressed by calling the PEP and telling them that the fishermen are casting the lines, which is illegal, or littering. The bait bags and fish guts are also not allowed.

In addition, Council Member Margaret Chin’s office should also be notified. Contact

Dog Barking:

The geniuses on the CB1 board, notably Jeff Galloway, snuck in dog runs that were constructed in the worst possible locations right next to high-rise buildings. Fortunately, most pet owners train their dogs well. But there are always the clueless belligerent dog owners who think they have a right to disrupt the peace because it is a dog run. That is a misconception. At no time during the day, even in a dog run, is it legal to create a noise nuisance.

The first step in dealing with an inconsiderate dog owner is to call the PEP. They will show up in their carts but likely do nothing else. You should meet the PEP and encourage them to act.

If the same owner is a daily offender, then you can contact the City Department of Environmental Protection at (718) 595-3000 and ask for the Air/Noise Permitting office

Dog sewers:

To address the problem of inconsiderate dog owners allowing their pets to turn sidewalks into sewers, this is best addressed by contacting the building managers of the adjacent apartment buildings. At Gateway Plaza, they are power washing more, and also using the security camera footage to issue offenders invoices for the cost of cleaning.

The elected politicians mistakenly believe that it is a winning strategy to strongly defend dog owners and have instructed the PEP and police to not issue tickets. However, you can make a difference if you make your voice is heard. Contact the local elected officials, such as Julie Menin, Margaret Chin, etc.


The problem of abandoned newsracks cluttering the sidewalks falls under the jurisdiction of the City DOT. First, report the problem to 311. That will trigger the DOT to write a letter to each company which owns the newsracks. Learn more about this here.

You should also email the BPCA, which has the authority to install new modern newsracks that will house all of the free throw-away papers.

This entry was posted in NYPD First Precinct. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *